Retina is a light – Sensitive tissue lining the inner surface of the eye.
Diabetic retinopathy Diagnosis and management:
- Diabetic retinopathy is a silent vision killer.
- Screening for diabetic retinopathy is important for individual having diabetic for five years or more duration.
- Diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy needs use of FFA/OCT to define the stage of the disease.
- Management of diabetic retinopathy done with the use of retinal laser, vitrectomy surgery.
Age Related Macular Degeneration(ARMD):
- This is a age related disorder which generally affects after the age of 50.
- Dry and wet ARMD are the major subqroups which needs OCT/FFA for the diagnosis of disease stage.
- In management intravitreal injection, Retinal laser/ Low vision aids plays a major role to restore the vision.
-The occurance of symptoms of hypertensive retinopathy may affect the eye quietly or can be presented as loss of vision with sudden onset.
- With the use of FFA/OCT patient disease stage can be diagnosed and treated accordingly.
Retinal Detachment and other vitreo retinal surgeries:
Many complicated surgeries like retinal detachment, tractional retinal detachment, vitrectomy, dropped nucleus, dropped IOL and management of endophthalmitis performed to restore the vision.
Management of ocular trauma can be done surgically for the restoration of the normal anatomy.
This condition may be benign or vision/life threatening.Patient required to undergo a complete eye and systemic evaluation. The management requires a multi institutional approach. Treatment can range from simple laser treatment to complete removal of the eye ball.
Premature child with low birth weight, needs retinal evaluation early in the life to rule out retinopathy of prematurity, a vision threatening condition. Childs of leucocoria (white pearl in the eye) should go immediate and complete ocular examination.
Congenital Abnormalities & Retinopathies:-
Most of the conditions are managed conservatievely. They need a thorough evaluation of the eye and need the electrophysilogical tests (VEP, ERG, EOG).
It is a serious inflamanation into the eye. Patients may require immediate intervention which may be in the form of multiple surgeries.
Investigation Required in Vitreo-Retina Detachment:
B-scan OCT- Optical Coherence Tomography FFA- Fundus Fluorosceine Angiography
IOL Master A-Scan Perimetry ERG- Electroretinography EOG- Electroocculography
VEP- Visual evoked potential Indirect ophthalmoscopy
Perioccular Injection Intraoccular Injection Retinal Laser Laser For Myopic Retinopahty
Vitrectomy Scleral Buclkling Cryotherapy Cyclodestructive Procedure
Traumatic Globe Repeair Tumour Excision